MSI’s programme in Zambia stands as a prominent provider of comprehensive sexual and reproductive health services in Zambia, championing a mission to deliver compassionate, high-quality, and client-centred care since its establishment in 2008. Operating across 8 out of Zambia’s 10 provinces, MSI Zambia plays a vital role in reaching underserved and marginalized populations, particularly those in rural districts.
Mission and Approach:
MSI Zambia is committed to providing a full spectrum of services, including contraception, safe abortion, post-abortion care, cervical cancer screening and treatment, diagnostics and treatment of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and HIV prevention counselling. As a social enterprise, MSI Zambia combines modern marketing techniques with donor income to generate revenue, allowing for the reinvestment of funds into free outreach services for the most vulnerable.
Contributing to Sustainable Development Goals:
By expanding choices in Zambia, MSI actively contributes to the country’s progress towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 3 (Good health and well-being) and 5 (Gender Equality). Operating in partnership with the Ministry of Health, MSI Zambia plays a crucial role in supporting the government in delivering on its national family planning and broader Reproductive Maternal Newborn Child Adolescent Health and Nutrition (RMNCAH-N) commitments.
- Contraception: MSI Zambia emphasizes choice, providing a comprehensive range of contraceptive methods, including short-term, long-acting reversible contraception (LARC), and permanent contraception.
- Safe Abortion: Compliant with the Termination of Pregnancy Act, MSI Zambia offers both surgical and medical abortion services, ensuring accessibility through static health centres and distribution of medical abortion drugs to pharmacies nationwide.
- Post-abortion Care: MSI Zambia focuses on eradicating unsafe abortions, offering post-abortion care services through its health centre and referrals to registered government clinics/hospitals.
- HIV/FP Integration: MSI Zambia actively promotes dual protection from unintended pregnancy and HIV, offering testing, counselling, and referrals for comprehensive care.
Expanding SRH Choices to the Underserved:
Central to MSI Zambia’s strategy is reaching underserved groups, including adolescents, those living in poverty, people with disabilities, and others with unmet family planning needs.
Service Delivery Channels:
- Centres: MSI Zambia operates two dedicated Health Centres in Lusaka and Copperbelt province, known for their quality and client-centred care.
- Outreach: Teams of skilled providers travel extensively to deliver free sexual and reproductive healthcare (SRH) services to rural communities, focusing on high-impact clients and providing a range of contraceptive options.
- Social Marketing: MSI Zambia’s social marketing program distributes registered medical abortion drugs to pharmacies, significantly expanding access to safe abortion.
- Public Sector Strengthening: MSI Zambia collaborates closely with the Ministry of Health to train public health providers, strengthen service delivery, and promote sustainability in the public sector.
- Contact Centre – 5600: MSI Zambia’s toll-free hotline provides high-level customer service, advice on SRH topics, and referrals to service delivery points, enhancing accessibility for clients.
Partnerships And Advocacy:
MSI Zambia actively engages with national working groups and partners with organizations to advocate for policy changes and improved SRH environments, focusing on areas such as safe abortion, commodity security, adolescent SRH, and increased domestic financing for reproductive health.
Recognizing the importance of inclusivity, MSI Zambia mainstreams disability in its work, conducting dedicated Disability Access Days and providing training to healthcare providers on attending to clients with disabilities.
MSI Zambia remains steadfast in its commitment to advancing sexual and reproductive health, making a lasting impact on the well-being of individuals and communities in Zambia.
Contact our Zambia support office to talk about our work.
Marie Stopes Zambia,
Plot 120 Kudu Road,
P.O Box 33739
Zambia – 10101
Tel: +260 965 005 600